We celebrated Eva's 2nd birthday yesterday and quite frankly, I am still recovering from it. No, there were no shots of tequila or late-night partying (okay, okay--it was a late 9:30 bedtime for the kids). The day started with chocolate pancakes for the birthday girl, a romp in the mall playarea, Build-a-Bear, Gymboree clothes shopping, lunch at Mickey D's, Top Pot Doughnuts, and finishing the day off at Maggiano's. Quite eventful since I flew solo the whole day up until dinner time. The kids were great but signs of exhaustion were definitely showing by the time we were driving to the restaurant.
Mike and I can't help talk about how Eva has grown into such a sweet, lovely, funny little girl. She is a constant source of entertainment and is never short on telling her brother how to behave or be careful. She loves loves to tell her "Kuya" what to do. When dinner or lunch is all set on the table, she's the first to say "C'mon Kuya! Eat!" or "Oooh careful Kuya!" after he jumps off the couch. I am always laughing at her antics. She talks A LOT! This is quite a difference from Alex's verbal skills which truly didn't develop until he was well past 2. She can repeat most if not all of the words we say to her. She communicates her thoughts and needs in complete sentences. She loves reading much like her brother does. I've often caught her sitting on the glider with book on hand and describing the pictures she is looking at. There are moments that she even repeats the sentences verbatim (obviously from memory but impressive nonetheless). Her favorite books are from the Disney Princess series and Henry and Mudge readers. The Henry and Mudge books were bought specifically for Alex but Eva took a real liking to them and now has claimed them as her own. We have had this blog for over fives years and it really has served as a journal of our life. Mike and I always talk about how we need to write down the milestones and funny anecdotes about the kids and this really has been our way of documenting those moments. So a few things come to mind that I've been meaning to write down and here's the perfect opportunity. So bear with me. Feel free to skip!
1. Eva refers to a spoon and fork as "Rice". Why? Because what is most served on the spoon/fork in our house? Rice!
2. Eva loves to sing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star", "Happy Birthday", and has most of the ABC song down.
3. As of 4/7/11, Eva can count 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,7,8,9
4. She can identify the colors red, black, blue, pink, purple, and white
5. She knows most animals including hippos, penguins, koalas, etc.
6. Loves to twirl around with her hands up in the air like a ballerina :)
7. She loves to jump.
8. Favorite past time is snacking. Pirate booty, Z-bars, crackers, apple juice. Dinner? Lunch? Not a big fan.
9. She says "Buy that" when she wants something. I'm guessing she's repeating what I say when she asks for something in the grocery store. "No Eva, we need to buy that first before we can eat it."
10. Prefers Mommy to put her to bed at night. I'm flattered but man, sometimes I just want Daddy to take over!
So, that's our girl in a nutshell. She is an absolute joy to be with. I can't believe she's two years old but sometimes I'm surprised she isn't already because of all the milestones she's reached. She will no doubt be a great big sister because I see the caregiving/nurturing side in her. Happy Birthday Baby Girl, we love you!
Eva- One Month Young